Friday, January 9, 2009

Well, you can't spell BCS without BS!

Ah, the voters have voted, and once again, the American public has been cheated out of a true national champion in college football. Regardless of what you think about the Mountain West conference, those so-called "power" conferences scheduled just as many cream puffs, were populated with just as many bad teams (Big East and Big Ten, I'm looking DIRECTLY at you) and the MWC doesn't have the luxury of huge viewership and the incredible hype of network deals. In fact, if you don't think those big network types aren't hyping those conferences they have contracts with, you are sadly mistaken. By the way, take away the hype, and Utah is the TRUE #1. And this is coming from a devoted BYU fan.

Some thoughts I have gleaned from the internet over this. One of the funniest posts I found comes from another blogspot blog:

http://taxmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/utah-1.html

"I think the system works fine.

Regards,

Figure Skating"

I think the best argument for Utah as #1 comes from one of my favorite sports writers Rick Reilly, formerly of Sports Illustrated, now with ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656

"Argue with this, please. I beg you. Find me anybody else that went undefeated. Thirteen-and-zero. Beat four ranked teams. Went to the Deep South and seal-clubbed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The same Alabama that was ranked No. 1 for five weeks. The same Alabama that went undefeated in the regular season. The same Alabama that Florida beat in order to get INTO the BCS Championship game in the first place."

And what do I think? The BCS is entirely responsible for our economic downturn. Replace it. Now.

No comments: